Within Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central, user access is controlled by assigning User Groups and/or Permission Sets to a user on the User Card. A Permission Set is a group of permissions that control access within Business Central. A User Group is a set of Permission Sets, which simplify the assignment of Permission Sets based on user functions or roles.
Security Filters manage Record Level Security in Dynamics 365 Business Central. Security Filters are applied to TableData Objects in a Permission Set to limit the data for a Permission Set Object. For example, a Security Filter is applied to the Customer TableData object if the need is to restrict the customers available to a permission set.
To Limit Data with a Security Filter:
- Search for “Permission Sets” using the “Tell Me” action in the App Bar and click the “Permission Sets” list link
- Select the Permission Set that will have the Record Level restriction and click “Permissions” in the action bar
- Go to the row for Table Data you would like to filter and click on the ellipsis button in the Security Filter Column.
- Enter the Field Number (or select from the list by clicking the ellipsis button in the Field Number Column. The Field Caption will display on the row.
- Enter the Field Filter to apply to the selected field Note: Security filters do not support wildcard characters (* or ?)
- Repeat Steps 4 and 5 for each field that should have a filter applied
- Click Close on the Table Filter Page
- Repeat steps 2 through 7 for each TableData Permission that requires a Security Filter
Users with the Permission Set with the Security Filter applied will see restricted data.
Note: The code and information discussed in this article is for informational and demonstration purposes only. This content was created referencing Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central 2022 Wave 1